We Help. We Take Action
D2D is Hiring
We are looking for a Residential Support Worker
Dawn to Dawn Action on Homelessness Society (D2D) provides subsidized housing via a scattered housing model throughout the Comox Valley.
Position Title: Residential Support Worker (RSW)
Reports to: Outreach Coordinator
The Residential Support Worker assists the Outreach Coordinator in providing person-centred support services and programs to Dawn to Dawn clients.
Responsibilities: will include:
- Securing rental housing,
- Orienting new clients to Dawn to Dawn services,
- Conducting wellness check-ins with clients on a monthly or as-needed basis, • Communicating and advocating with property management and landlords on behalf of clients,
- Advocating on behalf of clients to a variety of services including health, addictions, education, financial support, and employment.
- Advocating for clients who are experiencing oppression, stigmatization and/or discrimination within the community,
- Supporting and coaching clients in increasing personal life skills and independence, • Transporting clients to medical services,
- Collecting of client rent contributions,
- Performing administrative responsibilities, including client documentation, rental agreements, operational expenditure records, and
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate in a culturally sensitive manner with a vulnerable population,
- Keen listening skills,
- Familiarity with the health, financial support (welfare, OAS, CPP) and addiction services in the Valley,
- An understanding of the factors leading to homelessness,
- An understanding of mental health, addiction and trauma,
- Demonstrated personal suitability to promote dignity, independence, individuality, • Conflict resolution/crisis intervention training and experience is an asset, • Ability to remain calm, kind and compassionate in stressful or challenging situations,& • Recent and related experience preferably in the non-profit housing sector or in a related social service field is an asset.
Training and Education:
- Training and/or education in a related human/social service field is an asset • Completed or willing to complete:
- Naloxone administration training,
- oMental Health First Aid, &
- o First Aid/CPR training.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
This is a part-time term contract position from the date of engagement until March 31, 2022, with the potential to continue depending on funding. This is a flexible time position for up to 15 hours per week, some occasional evening or weekend work may be required.
The contract hourly rate will be between $21.63 and $25.19 per hour depending on qualifications and experience.
The Residential Support Worker will provide their own confidential workspace, telephone, IT equipment & software and transportation.
A driver’s licence and a Criminal Record Check are required.
Please note that for this position, we are open to candidates who are early in their careers as well as those with decades of experience. BIPOC individuals, people with lived experience and expertise, and people of all genders, identities, ethnicities/ cultures /races and abilities are welcome and encouraged to apply.
For inquiries or to apply send your resume with a cover letter to Dawn to Dawn Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org